Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bad News Beard 2

1. I went to St. Mary's Basilica in Krakow over winter break. It was a beautiful church. Like most Catholic Churches I've visited in Europe it has a rack-type-thing where people could light candles for their loved ones. I lit a candle for Grandpa Carrier.

2. The only reason I've ever gone to Tangier was to take the ferry across to Spain. Because of this I've spend a lot of time at the port. My first time there, while waiting for my ferry to start boarding I noticed a commotion below from one of the windows I was gazing out of. I notcied about 3 or 4 teenage boys running away from security guards and random port workers trying to corale them. One of the guards was especially rough with one of the boys.
I realized that security is most likely constantly having to deal with people, mostly young men, trying to illegally cross the strait to Spain in search of a better life, work, or just for some new entertainment. On this visit I witnessed the plot of a small handfull of young men get thwarted by the port authority. But at least they tried.

3. Last night Brittany, Rachel and I were on our way back from building 10 after a failed attempt to watch the latest episode of 24. On the way back to our dorms, we ran into a wild pack of dogs...on campus....sniffing around for food and peeing on bushes. I saw them again tonight on my way back from eating dinner. There were 3 of them that I could see, and I could hear another one in the bushes adjacent to me. I'll bet he was peeing on them.

4. I slept through my first earthquake. Apparently at 10am, while I was asleep, there was a small earthquake in Morocco. My roommate said he could feel it, but it wasn't very strong. His mom in Casablanca said they could really feel it there. No reports of damage, which is good. I really hope I don't sleep through the next one.

5. Today is Valentines Day. Cassie got a package from Christina, a student from Seattle that was here last semester. In it was lots of goodies. I got: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Sour Patch Kids, and some totally bad-ass Glow-Worms that came with an electronic tong that made the worms light up when you picked them up. Thanks Christina!!!!

6. Last night I was in the library searching for articles for a paper, when I heard what sounded like a gunshot. I looked around the room and no one else seemed to notice as they were all still busy at work or talking to their friends. I went back to my search when I heard it again. This time I was sure it was a gunshot. Immediately following the loud bang was the sound of a dog crying. Constant. It went on for a few seconds then stopped. The university must have hired a hitman to take care of the wild pack of family dogs that had been running loose on campus. Fortunately I heard them barking again this morning on my way to the gym. Take that AUI...

7. This school has some of the stupidest rules ever. For example, the doctor wants me to use the swimming pool to provide for a good healthy, low-impact workoout for my back. However, the school chooses to make this a unecessarily tedious. Here are SOME of the rules:
1. All swimmers must wear bathing caps (these must be purchased from the campus store)
2. NO shirts are allowed. (Not that I would have worn one, but seriously...making it a rule?!?!)
3. Ladies: one or two piece suit or an over all suit (I've yet to see a no-piece of 3 piece suit)
4. (Here's the kicker) Boy: Must wear swimming briefs or an overall suit... NO ATTIRE WITH POCKETS IS ALLOWED.
If I want to swim, I have to wear a freaking SPEEDO! I am NOT wearing a speedo.
Sometimes this place just confused the piss out of me....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home