Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ramadan: Day 3

Today is my third day of fasting. I can honestly say that it's not that bad. The first day was the worst. I was hungry all day, and the line to get food was horrible:

The first meal of the day is called f'tour. It's essentially breakfast. They have pasteries, coffee, orange juice, msmmen, soup, and other things. In order to take part of the feast, you have to buy a ticket from the cafe, which gets you in to the room where everything is already prepared. You can also go through the normal food line to get other things. So when you enter the room, the tables are covered in food and place settings.

The first day of the fast, I made the common mistake of wanting too much food. Everything I saw I wanted to eat. So I got into line to get some of the pasteries and quickly learned an aspect of Moroccan culture that wouldn't be too welcome back at home. The people in line are herded in between the food prep counter and a divider, creating a little walkway, at the end of which is a lady at a computer who takes your "cash wallet" (student ID) in order to pay for our food. I suddenly learned that people outside of the "walkway" were reaching over the people patiently waiting in line, grabbing food or tea, and going to the front of the line to purchase their items. Irate. Becaue of this, it took me at least twice as long as it should have to get through the line and to my table. I was pretty pissed. It may have mostly been because I was hungry and these people were keeping me from remedying that.

Other than that, the food was good. I ate a lot. Perhaps too much. But it was good. Later that night I was chatting with my roommate and told him about the "food line" episode, to which he replied: "Welcome to Morocco".

Yesterday and today weren't too bad at all. I didn't really get hungry until about 5pm, and we eat around 6:20. So really I only suffered for a little over an hour. I am happy that I'm doing this though. I have started to understand a bit more about the spiritual side of the fasting. I just hope I can make it the whole month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home