Monday, October 09, 2006

Sefrou

My anthropology class requires that the students form groups and to an "antropological" study in the town of Sefrou. We went to Sefrou this last Saturday to do this study. My group, made of Soumaya, Ali, and myself, chose to a study on the importance of education in Morocco, and chose elementary school children as parents of children in school as the participants of our study. IN order to conduct this study, we were allowed to visit children in the classroom setting and interview them. We visted two different classes: a fifth grade and a sixth grade class. The study was a lot of fun. I don't speak that well yet, so I didn't get to interview the children, but while Ali and Soumaya were questioning the kids, I sat in the front of the classroom taking picture and attempting to hold a conversation with a few of the kids. There's something rather humbling about talking to a child who can communicate better than myself, a 27 years old college student.
We had a lot of fun. I wasn't looking forward to the trip, but found myself enjoying almost every moment of it (the van ride sucked...big time. Let's just say that the people of Morocco are smaller than your typical American, especially one as sizable as me.)
The kids were great and really liked having us there. I could tell that they hadn't seen too many Americans, as all of them couldn't take their eyes off me. They were very polite, curious, and mishievous, especailly when their teacher wasn't looking.

We walked to the medina to find some adult subjects to talk to. While we there I was accosted on two different occasions. First, while Soumaya and Ali were talking to a lady with a child just outside the medina, an old man came up to me and just looked at me. Being the polite young chap that I am, I said "Salaam" and shook his hand. He took my hand, and would't let go. So I continued to talk, telling him that I am American and I study in Ifrane. Soumaya saw me talking to him and came over to explain more what we were doing there. They started talking, and after a bit she had to lead me away. Apparently he was telling her how much he likes me.
The second instance happened a little deeper in the Medina. We ran into some other students from our class and we stood talking about how things we going with our studies. Out of nowhere, a little, old, toothless lady came up to me and starting talking and hugging me. She would hug me, let go, say something, and hug me again. Soumaya and some of the other students told me she kept saying "God bless you."

After we got back to the meeting spot, I told my instructor of the of the experience. That on two serpate occassions with two different peple, I was admired and loved by complete strangers. He mentioned that it was probably because of the fact that the Peace Corps sends people to Sefrou a lot. I told him it was definately my natural lure and North Dakot charm. What can I say? People just love me!

Here's some pictures:









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home