Thursday, August 10, 2006

If I were scared sh*tless, I'd have much cleaner shorts......

So today all the buzz has been about the foiled terrorist plots in London. This has me a little rattled, since I plan on flying into and out of London in two weeks from today. Is it an omen? A sign? Should I not go?
Well, me being stubborn me, I'm still going. But I am worried and a little scared. As if I wasn't nervous enough about have a panic attack miles above the ocean, now I have to worry about some jerk with nitrous in his/her nalgene bottle.
Today's events got me to thinking:

I promised myself that I wouldn't turn this blog into a forum for my typical political rants, but I have to get a couple things off my chest.
I think I'm becoming conservative. At least more than I was. This might just be the "growing up" process, but I find myself agreeing more and more with the republican foreign policy. While the better half of me is fighting this transition tooth and nail, I think my liberal side is losing.

1. Terrorism is a terrible thing. While the terrorists haven't had any successful attacks in the US since 9/11 they have been very accomplished at annoying the shit out of it. Their victories, while seemingly insignificant, have been great. Think about it. We have to take our shoes off before getting on an airplane. We can't take our water or toothpaste in our carry-ons. The lines at the airports are LONG, and we all know how we Americans hate standing in line. They have interrupted the flight plans of thousands of American travelers on more than one occasion. Airports are now MORE confusing and time consuming, and we Americans LOVE our time.

Which leads me to:

2. Wire taps? Racial profiling? Phone records? Secret surveillance? Go for it! Do whatever you have to do to make me safe. As a liberal I know the importance of our privacy and fully comprehend the potential repercussions of allowing our government to have Orwellianesque spying capabilities, but I want to live! I want to make it to Morocco and back alive. I want the only thing that I have to worry about on my flight to be whether or not the last mechanic to check over the plane I am on was competent or stoned. I hate to admit it, but G.W. is right. We are living in dangerous times and the government needs to have the tools to do whatever it needs to make us as safe as possible. However, there should be a committee set up to ensure that these powers are not being abused. (I don't trust the power elite THAT much). I'd rather have withering civil liberties than none because I'm f-ing dead. If and when the terrorist threat is gone, then things can be returned to normal. But as for now, protect my ass G.W. and house dems, get out of his way.

I need to wash myself now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having never read a blog before this was fun. Maybe I can learn a little more about the nephew I hardly see! Am glad you are leaning a little more to the conservative. Maybe we should all meet in the middle.
Have a safe trip. I look forward to reading about it as you go.
Aunt Barb

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home